Uduak Oduok, Esq.
Fashion & Entertainment Law
Intellectual Property (Copyrights & Trademarks)
U.C. Hastings College of the Law, J.D.
Georgetown Law Center
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
Ms. Uduak is a Partner and Co-Founder of Ebitu Law Group, P.C. whose practice areas include contract drafting and negotiations, business litigation, intellectual property, fashion, and entertainment law.
An experienced litigator who has litigated a wide variety of issues in California courts, she has also handled a variety of entertainment deals for clients including network television and licensing deals. She has represented and counseled a range of clients in matters ranging from breach of contract disputes, promoter agreements, sports-agent agreement, partnership agreements, sponsorship agreements, record label agreements, film/television agreements, fashion agreements, fashion modeling, debt collection disputes, copyright infringement, trademark infringement, and licensing.
An ex-fashion model, Ms. Uduak also has over two decades hands on fashion and entertainment industry experience, which runs deep and diverse encompassing the disciplines of media, publishing, fashion, modeling, music, branding and public relations. She has provided business, media, public relations, and marketing consultation and helped secure sponsors for companies and individuals in the industry; which resulted in a successful brand repositioning of these individuals and companies.
Her work and contributions to the creative industry have been recognized by numerous organizations including the National Bar Association and featured in prestigious legal publications such as The American Bar Association Journal and The California Lawyer Magazine. She has also been a legal commentator and an invited speaker to numerous organizations such as Fashion Law Institute, Wharton School of Business, SXSW Inc., California Lawyers for The Arts, Aljazeera, Fox 40 News and New York’s 107.5FM WBLS.
Some Published Works
- Co-Author of Chapter Two, ‘Modern Monetization Models,’ found in ‘The Monetization of the Global Music Music Business.’ Published by Frukt Source in association with The International Association of Entertainment Lawyers, 2016.
- Author of Introductory Chapter, ‘Introduction,’ found in ‘An Introductory Guide to Fashion Law,’ published by U.C. Hastings Communications Law Journal and EBITU LAW GROUP, P.C., 2013.
- Author of Chapter Ten, 10 Things You Should Know About Great African Music,’ found in ‘Challenges in the Music Industry.’ Published by Pearson Education Limited South Africa, 2010.
- Publisher, Fashionentlaw™ (2010-present)
- Publisher, Africa Music Law™ (2011-present)
- Publisher, Ladybrille® (2007-present)
- Member of the press who has interviewed numerous members of the legal profession including Judges and renowned attorneys, and world-renowned personalities in the fashion and entertainment industries. Writings have been syndicated on global platforms including Yahoo News!, USA Today and MSNBC.
Other Notable Mentions
- 2016, Recognized by the National Bar Association’s Entertainment Sports & Art Law Section for contributions to the Entertainment Industry.
- 2015, Inno8tiv’s 50 Young Visionary Women to Watch in 2015
- 2014, California Lawyer Magazine feature
- 2014, nominee for the Archbishop Tutu Fellowship Programme
- 2012, nominee for the NEA Awards in ‘Media Personality of the Year’ category
- 2010, nominee for South Africa’s AFI Fashion Awards ‘Outstanding Contribution to Fashion Communications’
- 2013, AWP Network Power Women List, listed alongside notable women world leaders.
- 2013, Applause Africa’s 40 under 40 List
- 2013, Co-launched the first-ever west coast Fashion Law seminar on a law school campus, U.C. Hastings College of the Law
- 2012, launched first ever west coast Fashion Law seminar through California Lawyers for the Arts
- 2005, launched first ever Fashion law seminar at a fashion week in the U.S. (San Francisco Fashion Week).
- 2008, American Bar Journal feature
- Event Chair, National Association of Women Business Owners Sacramento, OWL Awards (2015)
- Guest Judge, National Black Students Law Association Moot Court Competition (2013, 2014)
- Guest Judge, UC Davis Asylum & Refugee Law National Moot Court Competition (Feb. 2011)
- Legislative Advocate, Government Relations Committee California Neuro Alliance (2003-2009)
- Guest Judge, UC Davis School of Law Annual Intraschool Moot court Competion (Oct. 2010)
- Certified Arbitrator, Better Business Bureau (2004-2006)
- Guest Coach, One.Success Mock Trial Program (2006)
- California State Bar Association
- California Lawyers for the Arts, Advisory Committee Member (Sacramento)
- The UC Hastings Fashion, Art & Design Law Society, Alumni Advisor